Are You Hiring the Right People?

How the A Method can help us find those A Players we so desperately need

Hiring employees can be stressful, especially in today’s economic times. Companies are desperate for good help, but are often so tight on time and resources that they rush to hire. Or, they are leery about taking chances on new hires, fearing the unretrievable loss of time and money if a mistake is made.

So what’s an employer to do? Is today’s larger pool of applicants making it easier to find good help or more challenging? Thinking positively, we could assert that more options equals a stronger opportunity to find the right fit, but as with anything in business, having a solid strategy in place and proper time and attention devoted to the effort will dramatically increase the chance of success.

Fortunately for us, there is a tested approach to hiring referred to as the “A Method” that can help companies overcome one of the biggest problems in business today.

The ghSMART A Method for Hiring

ghSMART is in the business of assisting companies who look to hire the right people – people that will fit into your company’s culture and get the job done. ghSMART defines an A player as “a candidate who has at least a 90 percent chance of achieving a set of outcomes that only the top 10 percent of possible candidates could achieve”.

ghSMART’s knowledge of human behavior has helped CEOs and financial investors build valuable businesses. They’ve worked with Global 1000 companies and start-ups to Wall Street bankers and passion-filled nonprofit leaders.

Download a FREE copy of 7 Ways to Monetize your Portal Audience, and discover how today's top publishers are generating revenue through memberships, events, clubs, sponsorships, and more.

Four steps of the A Model for Hiring

-Scorecard: This document describes the core competencies that describe the job done well. Defining the outcomes and performance requirements for a position, the scorecard shows a detailed account of what an employee needs to do in order to be successful in the position.

-Source: Don’t wait until you’re desperate to fill an open position. Systematic sourcing before slots need to be filled will assure a highly qualified pool of candidates to choose from.

-Select: One interview may not be enough anymore. Use a series of structured interviews instead, which will help you collect a lot of data on potential candidates. This data can then be compared to your scorecard so you can make an informed hiring decision.

-Sell: After finding your ideal employee, you must seal the deal by selling the position to them correctly. Selling to them correctly will help you make these candidates your employees, instead of having them take their talents elsewhere.

The A Model is simple to understand and implement at all levels. However, successfully implementing it takes time and effort, all of which is worth it in order to hire your dream candidates.

For more information on hiring effectively, join us at our Mequoda Summit Boston 2010 and hear more about the A Method in a keynote presentation from Bruce Elder, a Principal at ghSMART.


Leave a Reply