Online Publishing Jobs
Department: Publishing – Unity
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Work Schedule: Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Job Objectives: (Purpose of Position)
- To lead and develop all publishing activity at Unity including print, multi-media and on line products and services.
- To develop a product and marketing strategy for all products in partnership with related Unity departments.
- To serve our many constituents and spiritual seekers with the best available spiritual resources to transform individuals, organizations, communities and our world.
- To foster relationships and collaborations with writers, our Association of Unity Churches International and other like-minded partners to develop cutting edge products and services that will serve our Unity constituents and other spiritual seekers.
- To develop a financial model that will grow our constituent base and produce financial prosperity.
- To make Unity’s publishing products well known throughout the world.
Download a FREE copy of 7 Ways to Monetize your Portal Audience, and discover how today's top publishers are generating revenue through memberships, events, clubs, sponsorships, and more.
Job Accountabilities: (Functions essential to achieving job objectives)
- Directly oversee Daily Word, Unity Magazine, all Unity publishing titles, multi-media products, and our on-line products.
- Develop long-term and short-term plans and budgets to ensure successful publishing products and services.
- Monitor and evaluate all publishing products and services for quality, circulation, and financial health and make appropriate adjustments.
- Build and sustain effective working relationship with Chairs of Editorial Boards, Spiritual Directors of the magazines and support functions.
- Serve on Executive Team of Unity; participate in determining long-term strategic direction and short-term operating plans.
- Be one of Unity’s key contacts in developing relationships with our Association, Unity, New Thought and other like-minded partners, writers and leaders who can foster our publishing ministry.
Desired Strengths: (Qualities most desired in candidate)
- Leadership: the ability to lead in a spiritual environment.
- Communication: the ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, vendors and constituents.
- Analytical: the ability to deal with complex challenges and discern a right direction that is congruent with our mission and values.
- Visionary: ability to create a publishing vision based on our constituent’s current needs as well as future trends in spirituality, publishing and technology.
- Strategic: ability to develop a plan to move from present position to a heightened position of prominence in spiritual publishing.
Job Prerequisites: (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential functions)
- Ten years experience in publishing spiritually-related magazines and books; including both print and on-line experience.
- Proven ability to develop and direct a successful business model that meets the organization’s strategic goals.
- Proven track record in growing existing products and planning and developing new products and services.
- A thorough knowledge of all aspects of magazine publishing. This would include significant experience with and an understanding of:
- Budgeting and financial management
- Circulation and audience development
- Editorial processes
- Graphic design and layout
- Production and distribution
- Knowledge of book publishing, including acquisition of new titles, author relationships, editorial processes, printing, promotion and distribution.
- Knowledge of on-line or digital publishing.
- Knowledge and experience in team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, Masters preferred.
- Unity affiliation preferred.
If you are interested in applying for a position you can:
Contact Human Resources Monday-Thursday, office is closed on Friday.
Mail your resume to:
Human Resource Department
1901 NW Blue Parkway
Unity Village, MO 64065
Fax resume to 816-251-3549
E-mail to HR@unityonline.org