We would like to introduce you to the Haven Advanced Metered Paywall Manager. This plugin restricts access to paid publication content, but allows nonsubscribers to access a limited number of premium articles per month. The number of articles that can be viewed for free can be defined in the plugin settings up to a maximum of three. For 30 days, a user can return to their chosen preview articles as many times as they would like, however, once the limit is reached they cannot view any more articles for free within those 30 days.
The Metered Paywall ads that are served to the nonsubscribers before they are able to view each paid article contain copy to entice the user to subscribe along with a link to a subscription page. There is also a link to continue reading the article for free without subscribing.
Once the user reaches the final ad in the series (upon reading the maximum number of free articles allowed), the link to continue reading the article instead redirects them to a non-premium portion of the site and prevents them from accessing any additional premium content.
The user experience with the Haven Advanced Metered Paywall Manager is as follows:
- A non-logged in user OR a logged-in visitor who is not a current paid subscriberon the site visits a page with the paywall.
- The visitor is shown an ad with a call to action to subscribe to the premium content, or an option to close the ad and continue to read the article. Thevisitor can now view this article as often as they would like within the 30-day timeframe.
- This process repeats until the visitor reaches their maximum free articles and is shown the final ad. Once they have reached the final ad, the user can either purchase a subscription or be redirected to non-paid content on the site. They will no longer be able to read any new paid articles for free in that 30-day period.
There are settings that can be defined in the Haven Advanced Metered Paywall Manager:
- Track Paywall Events in Google Analytics: This is an option to check if you want to track the paywall views and submissions as events in Google Analytics.
- Free Articles Per Publication: When the plugin was first developed, the number of articles a user could see for free in a month was automatically set at three per product. With recent updates to the plugin, it is now possible to allow for fewer articles. With this setting you can allow one or two free articles per product in a month before the paywall restricts the visitor and forces purchases in order to view additional premium content.
We have put together 10 tips for you to convert metered paywall visitors into subscribers. We also have 5 Metered Paywall Best Practices for Generating More Revenue from Premium Content. These tips can help you maximize the metered paywall on your site.
The Haven Advanced Metered Paywall Manager is a great way for you to allow users to preview your premium content in an effort to engage the user and convert them to paid subscribers on your site. If you have any questions about the Haven Advanced Metered Paywall Managerand how it could work with your Haven system, please connect with your Technology Support Director, Christy Page at email@example.com.