It’s officially here! June is the beginning of summer, and it’s also when many of those late spring and early summer herbs, fruits, and vegetables come in. Not only that, but the soil is warm enough that many of our summer vegetables can go into the ground, either as seeds or transplants. If that’s not worthy of a celebration, I don’t know what is! Oh! And, of course, June also means it’s time for a new edition of Food Gardening Magazine!
For the month of June, we’re inviting you to join us in the joy of growing and cooking with garden-fresh herbs. Fresh herbs bring so much flavor and depth to a dish, and they’re so easy to grow! Plus, you don’t need a lot of space for an abundant herb garden, making them ideal for balconies, windowsills, and patios. Whether you’re looking for herbs that thrive in a hot climate or you’re wondering what to make with an abundance of parsley (Chimichurri sauce, anyone?), you’ll find it here.
Herbs are only part of the story, though. Or should I say they’re only part of this issue? Tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, peppers, and melons are all “ripe” for planting this month.
Speaking of which, don’t miss out on the printable Summer Garden Planning Calendar Kit this month! This printable kit is practical, beautiful, and it includes a list of tasks for each month of summer, from June through September.
And potentially our favorite part: This calendar kit has all the important gardening holidays! National Cucumber Day? National Watermelon Day? You can bet we won’t forget to celebrate them!!!
And, and, and!!!! Some of our favorite summer recipes are here, too. These recipes highlight summer crops like blackberries, bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, basil, and peaches.
In all, you’ll find five featured articles, a mouth-watering recipe, a downloadable Summer Garden Planning Calendar Kit, and explorations of our three featured plants: Parsley, Chives, and Basil. And, as always, there are some additional delightful recipes in store from the gardening guides highlighted in this issue.
Here are some exciting articles and videos to look forward to in the June “Herb-a-licious” Issue of Food Gardening Magazine:
- Planting an Herb Garden: From Seed to Seasoning: Herb-a-licious! Unleash your inner green thumb with our ultimate guide to growing a garden full of fresh herbs. The best part is that you can grow herbs almost anywhere. They’re perfectly happy in a large garden or in a container on a sunny balcony.
- 10 Fruits and Vegetables to Plant in June: From transplanted tomatoes to directly sown root vegetables, these are 10 of the fruits and vegetables that go into the garden this month.
- How to Dry Herbs: Believe it or not, there are some differences in the best way to dry different herbs. Here are three different methods, along with tips on which methods are best for which herbs.
- Herby Green Goddess Dressing: Green Goddess dressing is a modern classic, and it’s even better when you make it from the herbs in your garden!
- 9 Herbs That Like Full Sun and Heat: If you have a hot, sunny location with good drainage, these nine herbs are perfect.
- Summer Garden Planning Calendar Kit: Get more organized than ever with this downloadable calendar kit. Then enjoy the section of recipes here that highlight your harvest!
- Emily’s Garden of Chives: This article comes from our sister publication, GreenPrints Magazine. In it, writer Arlene Marquis invites us to join her on a trip back 24 years, when her daughter Emily enjoys chives for the first time.
Take a look at the June Issue of Food Gardening Magazine for the full articles and start thinking about your garden!
About Food Gardening Network, a brand of Mequoda Publishing Network: Food Gardening Network was founded by home food gardeners and for home food gardeners—the mission is to serve gardeners with tips, tools, advice, and recipes for growing and enjoying good food at home. During the Covid-19 pandemic that began in 2020, it became apparent that home food gardening would grow beyond a hobby for many home gardeners. Food Gardening Network launched in January of 2021 as an all-encompassing resource for gardeners of all skill levels, with in-depth articles on planning, planting, maintaining, and harvesting home garden crops. Food Gardening Network also includes easy-to-prepare recipes so home gardeners can enjoy the fruits of their labors in delicious, creative ways.
About Mequoda Publishing Network: Mequoda provides actionable ideas, inspiration, and advice for gardeners, cooks, and crafting enthusiasts—with the goal of improving their lives and increasing personal enrichment and enjoyment. We operate five multiplatform consumer brands, including six magazines, 28 email newsletters, and more than 100 digital books. We partner with dozens of sponsors to help them market their products to our audiences. For nearly two decades, Mequoda has explored and expanded the evolving art and science of multiplatform publishing and marketing. With in-depth research, aggressive testing, and cutting-edge strategy, Mequoda has developed a reputation as an industry leader for building and operating multiplatform communities that serve, engage, and delight consumers, sponsors, partners, and affiliates.
Contact: To learn more about our Email Marketing and Broadcasting Services, Exchange Program, or to become a marketing partner with any of our publications, please contact me at Christy@Mequoda.com or 781-556-1006.