Best Lines From the Member Profiles
We are very appreciative of the many members who took the time to fill out the member profiles this year. They did a great job and it’s something we truly could not do on our own. In tribute to them, here’s a list of 11 of the best lines of the year:
1. “I also lost almost a whole paycheck to a legislator getting taught to play poker. He went on to bigger things, too, the Governorship. It was my first and one of my few contributions to a Democrat.”
– J Dale Debber, Providence Publications
2. “We sold thousands of ads and a 200,000 overrun purchased by the Diocese of Pittsburgh. It didn’t turn out to be a religious miracle, but it was an economic one for all of us.”
– Jennie Phipps, Freelance Success
3. “I only had $12 in my pocket, but by sunrise I was looking up at the skyscrapers and listening to Billy Joel sing ‘New York State of Mind’ on my walkman. Three days later I started as a researcher making $5/hour at B2B publisher Lebhar-Friedman, a company I was with for 13 years.”
– Torry Burdick, Mortgage Success Source
4. “I became a hippy student radical in a sea of religious conservatism and started a successful underground newspaper. There I learned to question authority.”
– James Sinkinson, Infocom Group
5. “I was born and raised in the Big Smoke, or London as you guys over the pond will call it.”
– Ricky Warren, Research Ltd.
6. “Immediately out of university I was accepted as a volunteer overseas with VSO (the U.K. version of Peace Corps). I was posted to Papua New Guinea to teach English… and remained there in the middle of the jungle for the next five years.”
– Caroline Frost, Informa Business Information
7. “…with mine safety and health law, I thought that I could make a difference. I always hoped that people would read and share my stories and actually change their behavior so they would not get hurt in mining.”
– Ellen Smith, Mine Safety and Health News
8. “It may sound cliché, but I’ve always known I would be in publishing. When I was little I was making a ‘neighborhood newsletter,’ complete with youth soccer scores and word-finds.”
– Lindsay Konzak, Modern Distribution Management/Gale Media
9. “No one grows up wanting to be a conference producer, but it seemed like an odd enough choice for me at the time.”
– Russell Lawson, Optimus Education
10. “I’ll never forget cold-calling Bernie Goldhirsh, the founder of Inc. Magazine in my effort to break into publishing. ‘Mr. Goldhirsh, I love your magazine!’ I blurted when I sensed his receiver heading for the hook. His hesitation, piqued by my honest passion (and perhaps my hungry desperation—Bernie loved a bargain), led to my first publishing job as business manager of that magazine.”
– Roger B. Wilson, Jr., The Conference Department, Inc.
11. “…life is a comedy. Laugh often, love passionately and make sure to smile every single day.”
– Andy Tarczon, The Diffusion Group
It takes place May 20-23, 2012, at the Capital Hilton
in Washington, D.C.—the best time of year in D.C.!
The Conference slogan is Create. Sell. Deliver.
Register your staff for just $699 each.
This offer will not be repeated
and expires when the clock strikes 2012!
Download a FREE copy of 7 Ways to Monetize your Portal Audience, and discover how today's top publishers are generating revenue through memberships, events, clubs, sponsorships, and more.