The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is a non‐profit health‐advocacy group based in Washington, D.C., that focuses on improving nutrition, food safety, and public health. CSPI publishes Nutrition Action Healthletter, the nation’s largest‐circulation nutrition newsletter. CSPI provides valuable, objective information to the public; represents citizens’ interests before legislative, regulatory, and judicial bodies; and ensures that advances in science are used for the public good. CSPI is supported largely by the 850,000 U.S. and Canadian subscribers to its Nutrition Action Healthletter and by foundation grants.
The Director of Online Publishing and Interactive Media will manage CSPI’s online content publishing Web site, www.NutritionAction.com. A business plan and strategy are in place for this highly visible online presence for CSPI and Nutrition Action Healthletter content, and this position will regularly measure and report on key program metrics and adjust the strategy and plan as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage and report on annual business plan – including financial budget and growth goals – for online publishing unit, working within the established organizational structure.
• Collaborate with other senior staff to build, develop, and promote the online publishing unit.
• Directly manage all business and circulation development efforts in the online publishing unit.
• Manage the development and quality of all of the products and creative concepts produced to support the online publishing unit.
• Oversee the daily management of all online customer programs and foster trust, satisfaction, and customer growth year after year.
• Recruit, train, manage, and grow any required staff, interns, vendors, or contractors.
• Effectively utilize all organization‐wide operations support services, working within required processes and parameters (human resource and benefits management; technology support; financial and contract management; editorial creation; project/program‐specific content creation; creative oversight and direction; public relations).
• Support team structure of entire organization and actively promote positive team behavior in all assigned staff, interns, or vendors/contractors.
• Communicate regularly with marketing, IT, customer service, and production/operations staff to ensure proper integration of the online publishing unit with print/off‐line efforts.
• Manage and direct an extensive e‐mail program to communicate with customers and prospects, ensuring organization compliance with the highest ethical and legal standards and industry best practices.• Actively participate in online publishing industry associations and events, for organizational visibility and continuous education and training on rapidly changing best practices.
• Engage and develop outside partners, to promote and build the online publishing unit.
• Demonstrated experience with online marketing communications. Including ability to seek and use information that leads to marketing insight, and understand and communicate market position, products and services to key constituencies.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the details and roles in the publishing process from initial creation through printing or online posting; and the details and roles in the creative project process from inception to completion.
• Successful strategic planning experience with ability to establish programs and criteria to support organization’s project goals; marshal appropriate resources; and establish both hard and soft program measurements to ensure program objectives are met.
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills with ability to effectively articulate ideas, strategies and recommendations, in both written and oral communications, to internal and external constituencies.
• Demonstrated staff and consultant management experience including ability to recruit, train, motivate and evaluate staff and interns.
• Strong financial management experience including reading, preparing and maintaining financial records and documents; ability to create financial reports for finance department and executive management; ability to negotiate contracts, budgets, and fees with vendors, freelancers/consultants and internal staff.
• Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative environment; strong analytical and problem‐ solving skills; and ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
• Computer proficiency with MSOffice, specifically Word and Excel. Familiarity with social media and online publishing software and systems. WordPress content management system experience is preferred.
• Strong commitment to CSPI’s mission.
Please send a cover letter indicating relevant experience and interest, and résumé, to: Center for Science in the Public Interest, Attn: DOP, 1220 L Street, NW #300, Washington, DC 20005; e‐mail to email@example.com.
CSPI is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Please visit www.cspinet.org to learn more about CSPI. Posted: June 2012