Note: This job description is one in a series of job descriptions for multiplatform publishers. If you operate or plan to operate a Mequoda System, this series of job descriptions will help you build a team that will command and conquer your multiplatform publishing effort.
The Online Marketing Director will lead the initiatives for the entire online marketing system. They will be primarily responsible for facilitating the implementation of the vision and values by maximizing the size of the website email lists, using SEO campaign development, registration process optimization, visitor conversion to registered members, partnerships, promotions, social media presence and list segmentation management.
Strategic Goals: happy employees, happy customers, improve size and quality of website traffic and email file, grow revenues
Strategic Activities: build and maintain database of buyers and prospects, analyze and promote multi-platform opportunities
Key Metrics: email subscribers, revenue per subscriber, revenue
Values inherent to success in the position:
- Demonstrating warmth, personality, directness, voice, vulnerability and care with customers, co-workers, and vendors
- Creating high quality, innovative work product that enhances the lives of customers and/or co-workers
- Remembering and acting with the knowledge that customer satisfaction encompasses both external customers and co-workers and is our highest and most important objective in completing and accomplishing our daily tasks
- Leveraging technology, personal development, and organizational skills to continually enhance productivity
- Setting and attaining measurable objectives in day-to-day activities
- Gaining trust and respect by working with integrity, openness, unity, honesty and balance
- Sharing ideas and best practices to foster an environment of mentoring and encouragement
- Understanding change is inevitable and embracing it with positivity and openness
- Continually seeking to improve oneself and business practices to facilitate a nimble and creative environment
- Respecting yourself and others
1. Develop, execute, analyze and improve SEO efforts for all registration-focused sites following the Mequoda free report-based SEO campaign process.
2. Oversee search engine penetration in major search engines; ensure we have optimized search engine site maps to facilitate speed and depth of search engine indexing.
3. Guide editors and marketers on top terms to use to maximize search rankings.
4. Track SEO effectiveness using Mequoda’s GVR process, SEO referrals, search engine penetration reports and other available resources.
1. Optimize the registration process. Regular testing of member joining offers. Track conversion rates though each step of the conversion process funnel.
2. Develop effective registration process for the sites to convert visitors to newsletter subscribers.
3. Develop and execute viral marketing contests and strategic partnerships to increase newsletter lists.
4. Manage the process to add any bulk list ads to the newsletter list, including source coding them to track their performance.
5. Manage the process to reactivate members based on inactivity period reporting.
1. Produce or work with others to produce the activity and trending reports needed to track all above job responsibilities, including providing necessary metrics to upper management.
2. Develop a social media program for all communities for all key existing and new social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, RSS, etc.)
3. Promote all community newsletters using house print and web product channels and corporate publicity.
- Strong combination of creative and analytical skills to both create promotions and analyze them
- Strong project management skills to achieve program implementation schedule adherence while working with internal groups.
- Ability to develop mutually beneficial strategic proposals and implement programs with market group partners.
- 2+ years online direct marketing experience developing new member newsletter registration and retention programs, demonstrated experience to develop and execute SEO campaigns.
- Strong understanding of list development, management and segmentation.
- Knowledge of special interest niche markets in a multi-platform media company.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal skills.
- Ability to communicate programs, strategies and results internally.
- Ability to communicate effectively with market group partners and prospects.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Office (emphasis on Excel).
- Experience with web analytics software.
- Basic HTML experience a plus.
Education and/or Experience:
College degree required; BA/BS in Marketing; Plus 2 or more years of experience in direct online marketing.
Hiring Guidelines: good research, analyst, multi-tasker, creative, attention to detail